My name is Sylvia Santiago and I have been a dedicated member of the New Windsor community since 2002 when my husband, Victor and I chose the town of New Windsor to raise our family. As my children progressed through the Newburgh Enlarged City School District, I committed my time and efforts as a parent representative for 15 years working to represent, inform and engage families. I have also mentored and empowered youth while helping to create programs directed at their development. Although my children have all graduated, my commitment to the children of this community has not waned which is why, in 2018, I ran for a seat on the Newburgh Enlarged City School Board and am currently a member of that board. I believe as Franklin D. Roosevelt did that “we cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.”
Professionally, I have worked as a Financial Controller for over 20 years. In addition to being responsible for company finances, reporting, and information systems, I’ve managed all administrative duties including purchasing, human resources, and contract negotiations. As part of an executive team, I’ve been responsible for overall budgeting and forecasting. I have also worked with client budgeting and forecasting to achieve my organization’s goals. The union of my experiences as a financial controller coupled with a deep interest in leadership behavior and how it impacts results has also allowed me to build lasting relationships across all business sectors. 2017 was my first foray into local government when I ran for Orange County Legislature, District 15. I enjoyed the opportunity to meet and engage community members and learn their concerns and I look forward to working and building on all that I’ve learned. I am passionate about community and seek to ensure that our neighbors are empowered and properly represented. I know that working with everyone is the only way to get things accomplished. My goal is to be a voice for all and inspire others to take a stand on the issues affecting our areas. I hope to encourage you to become informed and engaged 4 our area.
Current Service History:
- Newburgh Enlarged City School District, Board Member (2019-2020 Committees: Audit & Finance Chair, Building and Grounds Co-Chair) (2018-2019 Committees: Audit & Finance – Chair, Curriculum & Instruction, Exceptional Learners, Health & Safety)
- New Windsor Boy Scout Troop #4028 – Merit Badge Counselor, Life to Eagle Committee Member (Former Committee Member & Treasurer)
- New Windsor Girls Scouts Service Unit #218 – Delegate, Volunteer
- New Windsor Girls Softball League Board of Directors – Secretary
- Friends of Newburgh Crew, Inc (501c3), Board Member
Former Service History
• Representative of the Newburgh Enlarged City School District Shared Decision Making Team – As a member of this team, I provide the voice of community members when district-wide decisions are made through the shared decision making process
• Newburgh Enlarged City School District – Newburgh Education Advisory Team – Established to engage all stakeholders from within the district and the community to collect and analyze data to inform the development of Vision 2020: The Way Forward – Strategic Blueprint for the Newburgh Enlarged City School District
• Newburgh Enlarged City School District – Newburgh Equity Team
• Former NECSD Central Compact Chair – initiative to foster collaboration between families, the community and the school district to generate positive outcomes for students
Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Saint John’s University in Jamaica, New York.
I understand the importance of being a personal representative. Like you, the issues facing New Windsor, neighboring areas and Orange County, affect my home, family, and taxes.
Follow me, contact me!
To Support Sylvia’s campaign, visit: https://squareup.com/store/friends-of-sylvia-santiago
Facebook: Sylvia Santiago Concerned Member of New Windsor & Orange County NY (@Santiago4NW)